- On the windows system in Thunderbird, I imported
- In Debian I accessed it from Icedove, (the rebranded thunderbird)
1. In WindowsThere was an error in the 3.9 GB pst file created in September 2014.
scanpst.exeAs explained on microsoft support, I tried to use the inbox repair tool: scanpst.exe It has found errors in the file I have asked it to repair the file. It copied the whole content in a backup file .bak. It created a log file and it corrected the archive. I could open it in Outllook, under file / data file management. I compacted the archive, it's now 3.7 Gb in size. I closed Outlook and put it in my online backup folder.
ThunderbirdTo be able to access this mail archive under Linux. I followed a Mozilla article which recommends to import outlook mail (including the .pst file) in Thunderbirdwith the menu:
Tools / Import / mailThunderbird can only open .pst archive files on a windows machine which has outlook installed. Then I closed Thunderbird and copied the file found under.
2. In Debian
IcedoveI installed icedove from the synaptic package manager. I started it and closed it again. This created a directory in my home folder: .icedove, this is where I'll paste the Thunderbird backup.
Mozilla's explanation on how to restore Thunderbird backup :
- Locate the backed up profile folder on your hard drive or backup medium (e.g., your USB-stick).
- Open the profile folder backup (e.g., the xxxxxxxx.default backup).
- Copy the entire contents of the profile folder backup, such as the mimeTypes.rdf file, prefs.js file, bookmarkbackups folder, etc.
- Locate and open the new profile folder as explained above and then close icedove (if open).
- Paste the contents of the backed up profile folder into the new profile folder, overwriting existing files of the same name.
- Start Icedove.